Buckhead Church (March 2016)
When Formulas Don't Work
To the bystander, one might think that John Hambrick has life all figured out. He is a leader in a large, effective network of churches in Atlanta, North Point Ministries. Surely John is close to God and doesn’t struggle with uncertainty, right?
Despite what we want to believe, that walking with God is a straight-forward, easy process, John shared at CityLights that he has found the exact opposite to be true. In fact, he encouraged us to not only read his new book Move Toward The Mess, but to actually do it – to move toward the mess in your world, and even in your own life.
John shared an example of a couple he knows in Atlanta who moved into a neighborhood where crime was abundant. Appalled, the husband called the police, only to learn the police already knew what was happening. So, instead of moving away or disengaging, he and his wife began serving the criminals, prostitutes, and drug dealers in the neighborhood with prayer and hotdogs.
At first, people ignored their offers for prayer. But, they liked enjoying the free hot dogs. After numerous visits, neighbors starting taking them up on the offer of prayer, too. They have built relationships and trust and have seen community develop out of the “mess” in the neighborhood. Now, this couple has started a ministry to prostitutes in this very neighborhood, all because they decided to love.
So, what is the mess in your world? Is it a family member, a child, an issue at your church, your school, or neighborhood? What if, instead of playing it safe, you jumped in and decided to do something about it?
Chances are, knowing the CityLights crew, you yourself could write a book about all the messes you have tackled in your lifetime. If you are someone who doesn’t back away from the mess in this world, be encouraged.
But, if you are feeling a little bored with your life and want to feel truly alive, pray for what mess God may want you to work on. You may be surprised at the results not only in the lives of others, but also in your own.
John’s book Move Toward the Mess, is available for pre-order now on Amazon, to be shipped upon its release on April 1.
- 24/7 Gateway (2005)
- AMEN, Inc. (2005)
- Atlanta American Red Cross (2005)
- Atlanta City Council (2015)
- Atlanta Community Food Bank (2006)
- Atlanta Development Authority (2005)
- Atlanta Housing (2006)
- Atlanta Intercultural Ministries (2005)
- Atlanta Mission (2011)
- Atlanta Youth Academy (2007)
- Beltline & Proposed Westside Park (2011)
- Buckhead Christian Ministry (2006)
- Buckhead Church (March 2016)
- Carter, with Bob Peterson (2017)
- Carver Bible College (2006)
- Carver Market (2015)
- Carver YMCA (2009)
- Charis Community Housing (2012)
- Childspring (2007)
- Club E (2015)
- City of Refuge
- Communitites in Schools (2005, 2007,2011)
- Covenant House (2004)
- Covenant House (2013)
- Create Your Dreams (2005)
- David Allman and Friends (2004)
- Dream Center (2015)
- Families First (2006)
- FCS Urban Ministries
- Fort McPherson (2013)
- Frazer Center (2012)
- Jars of Clay Outreach (2006)
- Georgia Student Leadership Forum
- Good Samaritan Health Center (2005)
- Grady Health Foundation (2014)
- How People Grow (2012)
- Justice (2012)
- L.E.A.D. (2015)
- The Leaders Lyceum
- Life Lessons (2006)
- Mary Mac's (2009)
- MedShare International (2004)
- My Sister's House (2016)
- PawKids (2016)
- Purpose Built Schools (2016)
- SafeHouse Outreach (2005)
- Saint Vincent de Paul (2015)
- Sears Building Becoming Ponce City Market (2012)
- Theatrical Outfit (2011)
- Walton Westside (2014)